The Landscape of Your Pond
The habitat of a pond contains a collection of naturally occurring components, such as fish and algae. An aeration system that provides aeration can also be an important part of the pond’s environment. However, you may find other naturally occurring items growing in and around the pond, including weeds. When it comes to pond weed, they can be a nuisance to deal with and can even ruin the landscape of your pond. This is where pond microbes can come in to help. Outdoor Water Solutions carries a wide variety of products to help you control pond weeds. In this article, we’ll go over what pond microbes are and which types work best for specific pond weeds.
To put it simply, pond microbes are sorts of bacteria that help break down organic matter in a pond. These microbes can also be referred to as microorganisms. A pond will contain both good and bad bacteria. Basically, good bacteria will thrive in a pond that has high levels of oxygen, and bad bacteria works in a pond with little to no oxygen. The problem with bad bacteria is that it will create large areas of sludge as it breaks down organic material. Rest assured that the bacteria or pond microbes that you find on the market are good bacteria, which will benefit your pond.
Now, let’s take a look at your chemical options.
- Cutrine: The product Cutrine works best to keep algae and Chara at bay. A simple treatment should do the trick.
- Green Clean: Another product you can consider is Green Clean, which is great to control algae.
- ShoreKlear: ShoreKlear will work best to control emerged and floating weeds. In particular, you will find excellent results for alligator weeds, Water Primrose, Cattails and more. When it comes to floating weeds, ShoreKlear will be able to control Water Shield, Water Hyacinth, American Lotus and many others with excellent results.
- Reward & Weedtrine: This alternative will give you good results for emerged, submerged and floating weeds. However, you may have to treat the area more than once for better and long-term effects. Water Primrose and Naiad weeds will have the best results with the Reward & Weedtrine products.
- Navigate: The Navigate microbe products work for both submerged and floating weeds. These can include Bladderwort, Coontail, American Lotus and Water Lettuce weeds, just to mention a few. You will find the best results with the Eurasian Watermilfoil weeds.
- Sonar: The Sonar Pond microbes are some of the best choices on the market. This product will work on emerged, submerged and floating pond weeds. However, you will get the best results for submerged pond weeds, including American Pondweed, Naiad, Hydrilla/Elodea and others.
- Flumigard: The Flumigard microbe treatment is a product that you may have to use more than once for those long-term effects. Moreover, this alternative boasts excellent results for submerged and floating weeds. You’ll be able to treat Sago Pondweed, Curly Leaf Pondweed, Duckweed, Water Lettuce and Watermeal weeds.
Remember that it’s always important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on treatment. Although some products will work with a one-time solution, other products like Reward, Weedtrine and Flumigard may require more than one treatment. This will provide optimal results for long-term weed control.
Outdoor Water Solutions offers high-quality pond & lake aerators (solar, electric & wind) and aeration windmill systems, fish feeders, fountains, and all-natural pond care products. Please email or call us at 866.471.1614 and we can provide you with a detailed quote and can even help you design the best solar aeration system for your needs.